Thursday, August 7

Z Foot

I think I may have left this part out of my marathon recap back in March (or maybe I didn't, I dont remember) but I couldn't walk after the race. My legs were fine. But my feet, oh my, the Champ had to drag me to the car. After 26 miles I couldn't even walk a quarter of a mile to meet friends to celebrate. Hence, grubbing at the closest place.

After the race, I took sometime off. Nothing crazy and I babied those feet of mine. All was well. Then in May I took a one month work hiatus (post to come) where I jogged about 3 miles every other day give or take plus my runs with ATC on Saturday.

It.was.awesome.

I felt strong and lose. No tension anywhere. Zen like really.

And then, on the Peachtree course run I felt a little pinch under my ankle. I thought to myself shit. Here we go again. I got that same "pinch" two weeks before the Atlanta marathon where the tendinitis all began. Knowing I signed up for a full in October I knew there was no way in HELL I could or would put myself through what I did last time. 

I made an appointment with a podiatrist. Ugh, I rather see the gyno. Seriously, when you're a runner nothing good can come from a podiatrist's mouth. (OK i'm over exaggerating but you get where I'm going). We did all these tests, x-rays and what have you there. Apparently, my right foot is what one calls a Z-foot. High ass arch that collapses oh and my foot is kinda in a z shape. I was told no running for a month. Yeah, my eyes filled with tears but I held back till he left, bastard.

Do I totally understand what it means? No. But he did take a picture of my beautiful bare feet on the cold office floor and I could see the "deformity." And no its not as bad as it looks when you Google it.  

I have been in PT for a month now, 3 times a week before work. Apparently, everyone is interested in said z-foot. Both the podiatrist and PT seem intrigued. I figured, its not everyday they have a  dumb ass with a "deformed foot" that likes to run 26 miles for fun coming in. Oh, if you were wondering yes I go to PT extremely excited because I know that I am getting stronger and stronger every time I am there. I was told this is common in runners. Ha, masochist.

So its been exactly 37 days since I've ran more then one mile. I got to run for 15 minutes the other day and they were the most glorious 15 minutes ever. Tonight I have the OK to run 30. I can't wait.

Running- me and my foot have missed you.

Love,

M.

Seriously...love.

No comments:

Post a Comment