Monday, June 23

2014 In-Training for Peachtree Course Run

Saturday I woke up bright and early for the 2014 In-Training for Peachtree Course Run. It felt pretty good out and although groggy I was looking forward to the run. When we (the Bird and I) arrived at the start there were several hundred runners running around, signing in, stretching, or searching for porta potties. We coach for the Atlantic Station team whereas this run was for all teams including midtown, Alpharetta, Suwannee just to name a few. (If you wanted training more likely then not there was a group near you.)



It was cool to see all the runners out there. It was just like a race day- people were pumped.



Just like any race we started out in corrals. And just like in any race, most people over estimate their abilities... Not, me I know I rock the 11:17-11:30 time unless its a 5k. After about a mile or two people slowed down and I was able run freely. Ya know, at my own pace, not shoulder to shoulder with someone else. Of course, I tried to stay near people to ensure they had the support they needed and I ended up talking to a woman who dragged her husband along to run with her ;). I loved that her husband, who isn't a runner came out to support her. It reminded me of the Champ. Hopefully, he wasn't to sore the next day but he did seem to keep his own. Being that she was new to running, I will say she was pretty strong. I actually commented on that to her early on in our run...

So if you have run the Peacthree Road Race you always hear of Cardiac Hill, well I've only ran this race once back when I was in not such great shape so I remember the entire race being hard. Two years later, I'm running the course and I was in my own zone not thinking, breathing fine etc..

After about two miles we were doing the Galloway method. I saw a hill and really thought nothing of it. I told the woman and her husband what I was doing and they joined- after all its only a 3 minute run. Turns out, that was the infamous Cardiac Hill. Ha and we ran right up it.

Good news, if she can run that sucker without stopping or slowing down she will have no problem race day. Proud moment for her and for me. I knew she was strong :)



Compared to my first Peachtree where I wasn't trained this run was effortless. Running with a group everything went by so, so fast. I mean, not once did I think screw this I wish it was over. I just enjoyed the banter, the socializing, being outside. It was lovely.

The finish was sweet as well. I didn't indulge in anything since I knew the Bird and I were going to hit up a cafe. But they had cliff bars, some other bar (it had peanuts so I paid it no attention), water bottles, Gatorade, chiropractor and ice pops. If that was my longest distance ever as it was for many runners, I would have LOVED this finish. I feel like ATC really took care of their runners after the race. So of course, that made me happy. (Because you know I feel when runners aren't taken care of at the end of a race or course. The a bad experience can totally ruin the whole experience if not done right) Luckily for us Georgians, the Atlanta Track Club knows how to do things right!



Overall, it was a great run. Could I have pushed myself further, yeah. But I finished feeling strong and more importantly happy.


And cause everyone likes a good photobomb from a stranger....

No comments:

Post a Comment