Saturday, November 9

Atlanta Marathon Part II

As you know from my last marathon experience the end of the race was the worst! There was no organization and in my exhausted mind it was chaotic. Well, let me tell I think the race finish was just as more organized as the start. It was fantastic.

Soon as you finished you were given your medal then this...





















Instead of space blankets they handed out reusable recovery jackets. I have never seen these before but they were the jam. They zipped up in the front, had pockets, and a hood. No disrespect to the space blanket but how does one stretch while holding one around your body? They always fly in every direction so these were perfect for right after the race.

A few feet away they were handing out recovery food packs. I love these! After a marathon or really any race I particularly don't like having to go to different stations to pick up nutrition. This was great as I grabbed my box, was given a nanner, some chocolate milk and water and went my merry way. Because of their organization I quickly and swiftly exited so new runners could make their way in.

I went to the "green area" outside of the marathon. I plopped down on the faux grass and chugged my chocolate milk. Why is chocolate milk so appetizing after a distance race? Seriously, I cant believe I'm going to say this but it taste better then beer after a hard workout.

I opened my little box of joy.

Atlanta Marathon
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It had everything my little runners heart could desire including a hand wipe. It was so nice to just sit there warm in my little jacket, in my herkey position (because that's all I really do to stretch) while picking through my goody box.

Not long after finishing The Bird found me and of course we hammed it up.
 

Atlanta Marathon

 
After the race we had lunch and talked about the race. Im tellin' ya it was so nice to talk to another runner about a race. I have tried to talk to other none runner friends and I swear sometimes you can hear the crickets. Running and talking about things like locking up, porta johns, and under boob chafe is just not something that not everyone can appreciate like a runner.
 
I thought it would be worth mentioning the some of the other goodies I received at the race. The actual race bags were empty. No samples, no coupons but...they did give an awesome beer mug. Now that, is something I can appreciate. They also gave you a really sweet pull over that will be perfect for my morning runs.
 
Beer...awesome running swag.
 
Atlanta Marathon
























Makes for a very satisfied marathon runner.

Atlanta Marathon


















Recovery jacket or space blanket?
What's your all time, favorite piece of swag you got from a race?
Favorite post race beer?

2 comments:

  1. I like the swag you got! Jacket all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jacket is a pretty fantastic alternative to the blankets! They sure know how to take care of their runners!

    ReplyDelete