Monday, November 4

Atlanta Marathon Part I


I woke up at 4:45 to get ready for the race. Despite the twinge of pain I felt in my ankle I felt great. I turned up the radio and chugged some redbull. Since I was rocking a hat I didn't have to do my hair (Yes, girlfriend has wild hair and I have to iron it just to put it in a ponytail) so I was ready in all of 10 minutes, it was awesome. I ended up just chilling on the couch. leg propped up with some ice while reading some gossip columns as I waited for the Bird to arrive.

We left a little later then planned but it wasn't a problem. I was really excited on the drive as I never had rode with another runner to a race. Its always just me and the Champ and I think he just thinks Im crazy so it was so much fun to get pumped up with someone else on our way. Screaming to System of a Down might have been involved. I would love to have seen our colleagues faces during our little impromptu American Idol moment.

There were plenty of parking spots and we just walked right up to the start line. Always a plus. Bird went her way since she was going for the 4:30 pace group. I took my bad self to the 5:00 group where I met a pumped up Harley.

The race started fast. I think we waited maybe 5 minutes before we started the race. Honestly, I don't remember much from the start I was just so happy to run after dreading the worst all week. At mile 3 Harley's son waited for us to give him our "toss clothes." He held them until the end of the race to give back to us.

I remember thinking we started off a little faster then I wanted. But Harley said we were on target and we were inline with the 5 hour group the entire time. (this was perfect because the extra 30 minutes would give me time to kill in case I locked up, had to potty etc.)

I felt great up until mile 8 and then the ankle hurt. I picked up my heel and started running on the front sole of my foot. It didn't work. I had to stop. I actually plopped my ass down on the curb, took my shoe off and adjusted my ace bandage followed by a potty break. Ohhh they had TP and hand sanitizer. In case you didn't know and if you ever run with me I carry a pack of tissues in the sports bra and carry hand wipes. Girlfriend is anti germs. Ok, so I felt a little better and I started to jog again. I jogged maybe 10 minutes and it hit me. I couldn't go on, the pain wasn't horrible but it didn't  feel right. I would say it was more nerve racking then anything.  Again, I plopped down on a curb, took my shoe off and adjusted my bandage.

At this point I probably lost 10 minutes. I put my face in to my hands and thought about if I should keep going. Was I injured? Was it a phantom pain? Was it just sore? I wasn't sure but I did know nothing was broken, swollen, or bruised. My doctor had given me a veryyyy low dose of pain medication. I didn't want to take it. But I did take precautions prior to the race. I actually brought my gu and my nuun to the pharmacy to see if the medication would mess with it or to find out if the medication would make me tired, woozy or the like. I was given the OK. So, I took it.

I popped in my headphones since Harley was long gone and focused on the crisp fall air, the crowd, and the music. Within 30 minutes I didn't feel that annoying pain in my ankle.

The crowds were awesome. You hit a lolli pop and there were people all around you and they had wobble blasting. Of course I got down with my bad self and got a million cheers. No surprise cause I'm just awesome like that ;)

Not long after I caught up to Harley. I actually saw him several times but he was to far to yell for and to far to sprint to. When I caught up to him it was around mile 13. I was so excited to see him.

We hit mile 13 at 2:30. I was cool with that. Although, it did make me think of what our times would have been if I didn't stop and he didn't slow down hoping I would catch up.

I've only ran one other race where I had someone to talk to so I wont lie having Harley there was awesome. I don't remember what we talked about but I just know I enjoyed everything.

Around my 16 I noticed Harley started losing focus. It reminded me of when I ran my first marathon. I knew he was about to hit the wall. I popped a salt tab, and an ibuprofen  and he took a ibuprofen. He was a champ he jogged through it. But it was in his face just like it was in mine especially when  I look at my pictures from my last race.

Around mile 18 I saw the 5:30 pace group coming up on us. When you really aren't running with a pace group and you end up seeing them its like seeing the grim reaper you haul ass to stay away from them. Harley, knowing my goal was to hit under 5:30 let me go on.

I felt really strong. I took a gu every 4 miles followed by water. I had a 21 oz. bottle of nuun that I drank by mile 16. I had my bottle topped off with water after that.

My last marathon I ran by myself the majority of the time. Like, someone could have snatched me from the course and no one would have been there to help me. This time there were runners everywhere. It was nice because you were able to pace yourself with other people.

Every few miles there were big groups of  cheer squads. You can actually adopt a mile through the Atlanta Track Club (they put the race on) so there was none stop entertainment.

























(Source)

Their energy helped me. I think I said thank you when I passed every single police officer and volunteer station. Legit, my throat hurt from saying so many thank yous after the race. But dude, it really meant a lot.


















(Source)

The only part of the race I can say kinda/maybe sucked was  mile 23. The sun just started to beat down on you when you were spat onto Cardiac Hill on Peachtree Road (a bitch of an incline that's part of the infamous Peachtree Road Race). Everyone around me walked. It was by no means torturous but I but it was a bit of a challenge but more so because of the heat.

Honestly, I wasn't focused on the mile markers like (like I have been have on every other race). Everything seemed to happen fast this race, it didn't feel like it went on forever, 6 more miles didn't seem like an eternity. I found  my grove and happy place during this race.

Before I knew it I saw mile 26. I thought I would plow through the last .2 miles but nope I walked that .1 until the turn for the finish and like a champ took off.

Although from the photos I'm not sure a champ is what I looked like...

Atlanta Marathon

























Finish 5:25
Shaved off 21 minutes from my April Marathon

Next up post race.




7 comments:

  1. Way to go! I don't quite know what some of your phrases mean (lolli pop, wobble?), but I'm super impressed. And hooray for a PR and beating the pace group behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome finish line photo!! Congrats on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Don't you just love race photos :) For me they never seem to capture how I feel and what I think I look like LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I plan on slowly dropping my time over the next year. I do love crappy race photos. You feel like a such a bad ass at the finish and this is what the world sees. So humbling! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on shaving off so much time! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 21 minute PR is INSANE! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete