Monday, October 28

To Run or Not To Run. That Is the Question.

I have been pretty pumped about the Atlanta Marathon for the past month. I figured out my weaknesses during training and I felt strong as ever. Problem is two weeks ago on a casual run my ankle started hurting. I stayed off of it for a week but a slight lingering pain remained. The next week I went on an easy 10 miler and the pain came back. So much that two days later I went to the doctor.

Honestly, I was horrified. The thought of not being able to race made my stomach flip. And...the thought of injuring myself for months wasn't any better. I thought I would get answers from my doctor but he was a dud. He took an x-ray and saw nothing (AMEN) but he couldn't tell if there was a stress fracture or the like (which I get). But he had no advise. I flat out asked him if I could run in 6 days. His reply, "I would just rest." I asked again, I wanted a solid answer -can I run or will I injure myself more? He again encouraged resting and said to stretch. When I asked what type of stretches to do he goes, "oh, I don't know I'll have to look on the computer." At that point, I said screw it! The man doesn't know what he's doing.

I took things into my own hands. I stayed off my feet the entire week. Literally, no night time walks, I got to work early to park close to my building. I wore an ace bandage, compression socks and I iced at lunch and bedtime. I did everything I possibly could to try and heal myself.





















The night before my race my ankle looked fine. No bruising, no swelling (there never was) just pain after I jogged those two times followed by a lingering pain.

I tossed and turned with the idea of running the race the day before. Maybe my ankle was injured, or maybe it was healed. Not knowing killed me. I decided I would try the race but promised myself the moment I felt pain I would take the DNF bus (trust me, this was not an easy promise to make with myself.)

I went into marathon number 2 as strong and prepared as ever but completely unaware if my ankle would betray me.

As I neared the start line the lingering question remained, to run or not to run?

Have you been in a similar situation? What did you do?

1 comment:

  1. I should have DNF at my second half marathon, but I wanted that additional medal and I struggled hard, lots of tears and hobbled through the finish into the medic tent..and then more tears to the guy who had finished the full marathon before I finished the half.

    ReplyDelete