Sunday, August 11

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend- Half Marathon Part I

Planning

Hotel
I honestly can say that this trip was seamless. I found a hotel inside of Disney at a cheaper price then if we stayed outside of the park.
I didn't know this was possible!

I did more research and read that Disney has huge winter sales in December and will honor the sale price regardless of when you booked your room. Honor they did. We ended up staying at the All Star Music Resort for about $80 a night.
 Um, amazing AND the hotel was not creepy or dirty or anything like that.


Transportation
We originally planned on driving down on Wednesday, going to the park Thursday, Friday, committing all of Saturday to the race and then drive home on Sunday. Well, around October I received a sale alert email from air tran and tickets were 95 bucks round trip to Florida. Bam. I bought the tickets on the spot. This worked out wonderfully as we kept with our original travel plan expect instead of arriving late in the evening we arrived around noon and were able to spend the day exploring.

After I booked them I wasn't sure how we would get around so I called the hotel to see if they had a shuttle or any info.

Turns out Disney provides a shuttle service, the Magical Express to and from the airport. This made the trip even more perfect and stress free.
The Arrival

 The shuttle literally was waiting for us upon arrival to the airport. Like any resort they took our luggage and by the time we checked in our luggage was awaiting us in our room. Again, perfect.
We didn't have to worry about anything.

The Atmosphere and Park
 
The weather was perfect. It felt like a mild Georgia summer. Since our hotel was in the park we had shuttle service everywhere. I believe the shuttles came around about every 15 minutes so it was never to bad of a wait. We went to the park early every morning and came back around one. Husband napped and I would lay out by the pool reading. Later in the evening we would go back to the park hop on some rides and have dinner. Even though we walked a ton it was so relaxing and Michael and I really enjoyed each others company.
 
 
Oh, like our matching shirts? Yep, we were "that couple" for a day.

Moving on...
 
Our schedule was impeccable.
We rarely waited in any lines and we were able to  enjoy "kid" things without some parent rolling there eyes at us because Suzie and Johnny cant hold their horses.
 
 
If you plan on running this race I would suggest going to the parks on Thursday and Friday. Like I said we barely waited in any lines. I suspect the lines were crazy over the weekend since some 40,000 runners were in town and on Friday night we did see a ton of people checking in to the hotel...
 
Overall the hotel, shuttle service, and park were superb. I believe we got a steal on everything and it was well worth the price!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment