Thursday, August 22

Troop Trot 10k

So I originally signed up for the Troop Trot 39k mainly because there wasn't a course limit and not being a real trail runner this would give me plenty of time to complete the race and live to write about it. Well, last minute, literally the night before the reality of being out there for at least 6 hours kind of hit me. Now, it wasn't being out on the trail for 6 hours but that it would take time away from my husband and I. Remember me mentioning making family time a priority? So I dropped down to the 10k which my non runner husband signed up for to support me.

So a little background about the race. It is ran by a local boy scout group. How cool is that? It also takes place at one of my favorite trails Clinton Nature Preserve. Anywho, it was for a great cause and at one of my favorite trails.
As it was held locally I saw a lot of members from my running club along with some ultras I have seen when I helped at aide stations at their events. I thought there was a great turn out. The weather was nice. There was just a good, laid back vibe to it all.
When we started the race I was with Michael but not even a mile in he dropped back. I kept going. This was the first trail run I ever ran where I didn't feel every vertebrae moving in a different direction. I credit this to my focus on core fitness. I felt strong.
I wouldn't say it was an easy race as there were some technical aspects to it running side ways on a rocky surface, jumping through creeks etc.
Speaking of jumping through creeks. Bad ass me plowed through a creek, I mean who cares if I get wet right? The second creek I went to run through I fell like a champ. Luckily no one was around because I am pretty sure the f-bomb was dropped and I wouldn't want the sweet little boy scouts hearing such things.
Back to feeling strong I felt pretty good. I went at my own pace and really after a mile everyone was so spread out I was running with maybe 4 other people out of at least 100 runners. I rather liked it as I didn't have to worry about stepping aside on small paths for other runners to pass.
I was able to zone out pretty easily and enjoyed it. There was one water stop for the 10k which was shared with the 39k. I thought this was plenty. When you run trails you always come prepared. However, they were stocked up with m&ms, pretzels, gu and all sorts of drinks (mainly for the 39k).  Around mile 5 the trail got flat and its amazing how fast I got bored and so I walked the last mile till I saw the end and of course finished like I ran the entire thing.
 (remember I'm working on not walking just because I feel like it! Me walking does not reflect the awesomeness of this race).
I finished in 1:26. Honestly, I'm a.ok. with that time. But I wont lie, now,  part of me wishes I didn't walk the last mile because I would have loved to have shaved off at least 5 minutes.
Either way I had a great time and even though it was a small race they had a nice finish line set up drinks, snacks, massage therapist.
For some reason my photo didn't make it up on the site but my husband's did!
Check out that beast!

Oh and if you are thinking debating weather or not to do the 39k or 10k I'd totally do the 39k after seeing their medals! The scouts made them! Freaking unique as hell and I totally want one oh and I want this dudes abs.


Do you prefer trails or roads?
What do you bring on trail runs?

3 comments:

  1. I do some trail in my road running ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trails in GA are a beast! I live next to one of the Southeast's toughest trails. I attempted part of it once. OMG.
    It was like climbing up a straight wall. I still prefer roads but I wont lie in the fall the trails are gorgeous here...just not that one I was talking about that one still sucks :)

    ReplyDelete