Thursday, September 12

Generating Wellness 5k Cross Country's Inaugural Race

Last weekend The Champ and I woke up at the crack of dawn, and drove a little over an hour to run the Generating Wellness 5k Cross Country's inaugural race. It makes me kinda laugh thinking that the drive was longer then our run. Nonetheless it was worth it. All runs are.

The past few months have been horrible due to the heat and muddy grounds.
But this day was perfect. It wasn't scorching hot nor was the ground sludge.
Plus, this race was on a cross country course so the tree's canopy provided a blanket of shade.
 
 
There were around 40 of us, the smallest race I have ever done but these guys had it together. I mean it when I say that. I have ran several races...and training runs where you get lost because the roads or trails weren't properly marked but these guys nailed it. Oh and there was COLD water. Sigh. That was so nice! I'm so use to lukewarm fluids.
 
Anywho, I haven't ran a 5k in almost a year and I was curious if my speed work would pay off for this race. My "plan" was to run the first two miles at a 10 minute pace and then try and then go as hard as I could for mile 3.
 
My first mile I finished at 9:40. I was happy with that. Around 1.5 miles in I could feel my shins tighten and I felt a strange stinging pain run from my shin to the front of my foot. Ugh. I finished mile 2 around 9:50. Although I planned on pushing it for the last mile I decided not to.
Shin pain ain't no joke and I just cant risk shin splints or injury.
 
I ended up completing the race in 31 minutes. I was content with my time. Although I wish I had the chance to push myself and see what I could have done.
 
My pace was consistent and was faster then my typical slow, long distance pace.
I wasn't out of breath and barely broke a sweat.
It was really weird though, running 3.1 miles and being done.
I'm not use to that!
I forgot what it felt like to just run 3 miles! I mean my last 5 runs have been at minimal 10 miles. 
I wont lie it was kinda nice being done at 3.
 
Oh and it was funny hearing everyone when they finished- talking about the big "hill" and how they couldn't believe they did it.
This is something I'm not use to hearing since I run with the wild ones that run crazy distances.
Usually I'm the one saying things like that!
It was strange being on the other side for a change!
Hearing these runners made me think of when I started running and how far I've come in a year.
Anything is possible if you try!
 
Reflecting on the race, I defiantly think I am going to drop back down to shorter distances and focus on speed and not distance. There was something so refreshing about it and...
speed poses a new challenge for me.
 
 
Have you ran long distance runs then dropped to a shorter distance? Was it totally weird like it was for me?

What are you working on speed, distance or both?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun race! I have my first 5k since maybe May coming up next weekend (an Oktoberfest one).

    ReplyDelete