Wednesday, March 18

Spartan Race Recap

I was actually nervous about this race. Not the running aspect but to use them arm muscles kinda freaked me out. I may be abe to run but I defintly lack upper body strength.

I am going to begin with things I didn't like. They are by no means major but I felt I was nickel and dimed and I did not like that. When you register for the race you are charged an additional $15 for insurance BUT then you have to sign a waiver stating if you get hurt you are on your own. Um- then why should I pay 15 bucks? Parking is $10 cash. Not bad- Ive paid fo parking at pretty much everyrace so that was nothing new but then I got peeved from it all when I got charged $5 cash to check my bag. I have ran many races and have never been charged for a bag check. So right there between Mike and I we spent $30 insurance, $10 parking and $10 bag check- um that's $50 bucks for essentially nothing and I though that was bs.

Onto the good stuff. Check in was super easy. They gave you a bib (but didn't provide pins) that was fine, I mean you are going to get muddy- like reallllllly muddy. They also gave you a tracking chip, wristlet and a head band with your race number on it. I LOVED the head band. It was comfortable, it could be seen despite being covered in mud-- I thought it was a great idea.

I wish I had personally taken photos to share but this isn't the kinda race you take your phone with you! So you will have to use your imagination for some of the course. Spartan does provide free photos. I don't recall any photographers so they either were camouflaged or automated. Either way the photos I did get I liked.

The waves were released smoothly no long waits of anticipation. I was actually feeling really weak (thanks autoimmune disease!) and had a hard time jogging and completing the first few obstacles. My ego was hurting. I knew I could do the race but it was going to be a struggle. We did not go for time. I almost always say that but we walked 90% of the time for me whereas typically even if its a slow pace I jog.  Honestly, at first I felt pretty sad about it but I wanted to have fun so I had to let it go and I do what I could do.

As I mentioned I opted out of the second and third obstacles that involved climbing tall walls. You were allowed help from other participants and there was definitely a camaraderie going on so if you had the drive you could do it. But my fear of heights coiled with my weakness I opted for burpees. (you can opt out of an obstacle and do burpees :)) Mike took on the walls- alone-with no help.

I was proud of him.

He doesn't work out and typically bitches and moans when he does but he loved this stuff! I totally saw a different side of him and it was hot. :)

There were a lot of obstacles so really there wasn't much jogging. Where there was jogging it was on semi technical trails. Although I took it slow or walked I defiantly enjoyed it.

My favorite obstacles involved:

  • This thing- I don't even know what to call it but I got a little thrill from it

  • carrying a huge bucked of rocks up and down a hill
  • lugging a sand bag up and down a hill
FYI Mike thinks i'm crazy for enjoying carrying the sand bag and rocks but I think the burn of carrying that heavy junk up a hill reminded me of my marathon training days- you felt the burn and exhaustion and just pushed through it! And I did and it felt damn good.

  • climbing a spider web like rope up a HUGE ass mountain (your jaw drops when you look up at it, and when you get to the top and look down your jaw drops again, please note there was no mention of looking down while climbing)

  • weighted sled pull
  • spear throw
and the two below...

There were two obstacles that (besides the height thing) freaked me out. I was pumped to try the Tarzan swing but once I was standing up on the rail about to do it my heart raced. I stood there for a moment and I just said fuck it, and without thinking let myself go. Of course I face planted into the muddy water but that was OK. I didn't think about my deployment I just jumped. It was awesome.





















Another one that freaked me out- You just crawled under a ton of barb wire- I mean ass down, piles of uneven sludge and then you somehow drag your body up this incline then swoosh you slide down into a trench of muddy water where you stand there in a daze for a second.

 

 
I don't even know the name of the next obstacle but you are in muddy water up to your chest and there is a wall and the water touches it. At first I'm standing there like what the hell am I suppose to do. Then I realized you are suppose to go under water and go underneath it. Um, scary. I went up to the wall and shoved my hand under it to see how far the wall went. It wasn't bad. Again, I didn't think I just dove under and jumped up as fast as I could! Omg, I couldn't open my eyes I was blinded by mud. Haha. Despite not being able to see for the next few obstacles I was pumped. I guess you could say I kinda conquered some fears :)

There had to be 20 obstacles and it was over 4 miles. For some reson I though it was a 5k but its anywhere from 3 to 5 miles...

It was an awesome race.

Post Race- The medal was heavy and good quality. I reallllly liked it. (it was better quality then my medal from my first marathon)

They had good hardy fuel at the end of the race. They also had a hosing station too which was a big plus- freezing cold but a plus. They made up for the cold with a fire pit where we and other Spartans warmed ourselves while holding our well earned beers.


I would not categorize it as one of those drunk, fun runs. A beer at the end, yes but defiantly not the night before, before the run or whatever people that involves drinking and racing. I think you need to be in shape to do it. It was tough and as you can tell from the pic below not for the faint of heart but it was a ton of fun anddd I didn't feel the bruises till a few days later ;)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment