Monday, August 18

ATC Half Marathon Coaching

So if you didn't know I have decided not to run the marathon in October. I am going to run the half. My heart kinda hurts when I think about it because I really want to train hard and get a new PR. But my body said no and I gotta listen to it. So for now I am going to focus my energy on Coaching the Atlanta Track Club's Half Marathon program. Originally, I planned on looping back and running whatever the group ran alone. But being in a state of recovery I am going to focus on the half just like the other runners.

This weekend was my first time meeting with them. We have over 100 people! Insane. There is a special place in my heart for this particular program because its what got me started just 2 years ago.

Atlanta Track Club, Atlanta Track Club Half Marathon, Atlanta Track Club Half Marathon Training Program



I was open to running with the novice or intermediate.  I can really vary my pace but I ended up running with about 5 women doing a walk-jog for 30-30. I originally thought doing a 30-30 we would be going fast but I soon realized it is a slow pace. I didn't mind one bit. My group was pushing themselves, sticking together and having good time. No man left behind on our journey that morning which I saw as an accomplishment.

We started at Ansley Mall and made our way to the Atlanta Belt Line. Y'all i'm glad for hats because that sun just beats down on the belt line! Dang! But I will say it was a nice, flat, out and back and we weren't bothered by team spandex that much.

On our way back I whispered to myself, "well that sure is different" and I heard similar words echo behind me. A perfectly sane woman was just playing the violin on the side of the belt line. Happy and in her own little world, we ran with her songs until they became faint and our legs tired. My group scattered once we returned but needless to say it was a great start to the training season.

Race Menu
Sugar-free redbull before the run
Ezekiel bread with sunbutter before the run
2 small cups of water during



2 comments:

  1. I love it. I get just as much out of it as they do plus a sense of pride!

    ReplyDelete