Tuesday, April 29

Sweetwater 50k

My running club puts on several races each year. Like last year, I volunteered for the 50k over at Sweetwater Park. Last year I was a sentry with the Bird, while this year, I worked the registration table, met with the Bird played cheerleader/sentry, then swept part of the course.




















Again, it was freaking awesome. The weather was just lovely, everything was in bloom and where we were sentries this year rocked. In fact, I would say we hit the jack pot. We were stationed at the water crossing.

If you look closely you can see the ropes being tied off by the two rangers in the right of the picture.




















Another view of the creek crossing from the bridge....

















Located right in front of where the runners crossed. HA.





















Seriously, I've heard of the "the water crossing" but never actually saw it. It was so cool to think these runners just ran a hard 17 miles, then they crossed this huge ass creek. You can see them behind me in the picture below.






I want to say we were out there for four hours before we began to sweep. The four hours or whatever it was went by fast. Hanging out in a gorgeous park with one of my best girlfriends while cheering for runners- I mean could it get any better?

Once the final runner crossed we began to sweep. I wasn't prepared like I usually am. I had my fuel pack but I had downed so much of the water while acting as sentry that I didn't have much left when we started to run. Nor did I have any food. I had only one gu and left the extras in my car so I was a little worried about my blood sugar dropping and bonking.

Luckily, even though the aide stations were packed and ready to go by the time we got to them they had some snacks i.e. peeps. I ate like 5 of them. I mean by this point it was around one and I had been up since 5. I needed to get something in my stomach if I was going to run anything in the double digits.

Those peeps were divine.

We also refilled our fuel packs. But it was hot man. Before you knew it we were both running out of water again. Luckily, the sentry located near the top of the world had some water bottles and shared.

Despite being a little nervous about improper fueling, the run was awesome. When I ran the race route last year it was so hard. I ached for days after it. But this time, I felt so strong. I mean, we weren't going fast but I was able to handle the elevation gain with such ease. It felt so damn good to see and feel how much stronger I was. (Yes, I impressed myself.)

After sweeping we made our way back to the group shelter where all the runners were chilling out or finishing the race. While there, I totally grubbed out on some bbq. That's one thing trail runners do right. The after party. Everyone always eats and chills out together. Trail runners are such a unique and tight knit community.

Its funny, I am by no means a "trail runner" yet each year this race is must on races to help with.
Love it. That's all there is to say.

1 comment:

  1. It was a blast! We all need a little adventure from time to time.

    ReplyDelete